Monday, July 24, 2017

Ruth Negga Talks Oscars

Ruth Negga recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here's what she had to say:

On her date to the 2017 Oscars, her cousin David:
“We made a pact when we were seven years old. We were absolutely convinced that one of us would win an Oscar – we thought it was like applying for a driving license; you just asked for it. I said if I won I’d take him, and he said if he won he’d take me.”

On Oscar season:
“I didn’t even realize there was a campaign. I thought you just crossed your fingers and hoped for the best. I was so naïve. You have to do luncheons, screenings, Q&As – it’s intense. Imagine if I wasn’t that hot on my film.”

On Meryl Streep's Oscar speech:
“That was surreal. There was a camera right beside me, so I had to try and stay calm. What I really wanted to do was scream, ‘Are you fucking kidding me? Rewind. Say it again, Meryl, we couldn’t hear it at the back.’”  

On her boyfriend relocating to New Orleans with her while she shoots Preacher:
“It would be so lonely if he wasn’t there. People say, ‘Never go out with an actor.’ But if you were with someone with a normal job, and one of you had to go away, how would that work?”

On her stylist Karla Welch:
“She’s a huge feminist, and that was important. I don’t have time to go to the gym, and she dresses my body in a way that’s going to give me confidence. I like a sleeve, I like a high neck, that’s my style. And I am gently stubborn about being shoehorned into something that I am not.”

On strangers approaching her to tell her how much the movie Loving has meant to them:
“It makes me cry when people say that, and it happens quite a lot. I didn’t realize the extent to which it would have an impact on people. When you live in London or New York and you exist in this creative atmosphere, where 95% of people
are liberal and forward-thinking, you don’t [understand how bad it still is for some people]. Certainly, I didn’t realize that it can still be so taboo in some communities, that people can be made to feel uncomfortable walking down the street holding hands.” 

Read the full interview at Net-a-Porter.

No comments:

Post a Comment