Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Steven Soderbergh Talks Returning to Directing

Steven Soderbergh recently sat down for an interview with Entertainment Weekly, where he talked about returning to filmmaking after taking a break in 2013, where he intended to become a painter. Here's what he had to say:

“Right as we were going to Cannes with ‘Behind the Candelabra,’ which was in my mind going to be the official start of my enforced vacation, I got the script for [the television series] ‘The Knick.’ So I went from not doing anything and exploring my future as a painter to starting to shoot a ten-hour television show in four months.

On directing for television:
“We had to shoot 600 pages in 73 days. I’ve worked on some films with pretty aggressive schedules. This was on another order of magnitude, and I was terrified. This was something that was keeping me up at nights, wondering if this was really too big a reach. About a week in, I realized that there was a rhythm that was actually really exhilarating to be had and we were going to make it...I was sitting there on set, realizing that this is the job that I should be doing. This is my job. I should be directing stuff. Nobody’s waiting around for my paintings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment